Paying back a loan
When you have to pay back your loan, you will get a letter. The letter says how much you have to pay back.
How paying back works
You start paying back your loan 6 months after you complete your integration.
- You don’t have to pay the loan back all at once.
- You have 10 years to pay back the loan.
- You also pay interest. The interest rate stays the same for 5 years. Check Mijn Inburgering to see what interest rate applies to your loan.
- You repay your loan in monthly instalments.
- DUO collects the money from your bank account each month.
Incorrect bank account number
If you want DUO to use another bank account number, log in to Mijn Inburgering to change it.
- Log in to Mijn Inburgering
- Go to: 'Details' and then ‘Person’
If you cannot log in to Mijn Inburgering, please use the ‘Wijziging rekeningnummer’ form.
You must provide DUO with your foreign address yourself. Please use the 'Doorgeven buitenlands adres' form.
Paying back more
You can pay back your entire loan at once. Or you can start repayments earlier, or pay extra.
- Use the contact form to notify us that you want to pay extra or pay your entire loan at once.
- You will receive an email with the number to use with your payment.
- Transfer the money to DUO yourself. DUO's account number is NL74 INGB 0705 0034 18.
- Mention the number from the email and "Terugbetalen lening" with your payment.
Paying back less
Do you want to pay back less per month? Sometimes you can. For instance if you are suddenly making less money.
- Complete the ‘Verzoek verlagen maandbedrag schuld’ form (Request for reduction of monthly amount).
- The form says what papers you need to include. These are the supporting documents.
- Send the form with the supporting documents to DUO.
- DUO decides whether you can pay back less each month. We will let you know within 8 weeks.