Who is affected?
The new interest rate applies to:
- people that are still integrating
- people starting their civic integration
- people that are applying for a loan from DUO for the first time
- people that are due to pay back their loan from 1 January 2024
- people that are already paying back their loan, and whose fixed-rate period expires on 1 January 2024.
Who is not affected?
The new interest rate does not apply to:
- asylum status holders who complete their civic integration in time. They do not need to pay back their loan. Nor are they due any interest.
- people whose 5 year fixed-rate period does not yet expire. Their interest rate remains fixed on 1,78% until their fixed-rate period ends.
Reduced monthly instalments
If paying back your loan is difficult, maybe you can pay less per month. You can use the ‘Verzoek verlagen maandbedrag schuld inburgeren’ form to ask for a reduction of your monthly instalments. Download the form on the Paying back a loan page.
As long as you are integrating, your interest rate remains the same for 1 year at a time. This is called the fixed-rate period. Every year the interest rate is reassessed.
If you are already paying back, the interest rate remains the same for 5 years at a time. This means your fixed-rate period is 5 years. Every 5 years the interest rate is reassessed.
Notice from DUO
If your interest rate changes, you will receive a notice from DUO. The notice states the new interest rate. You can also check your interest in Mijn Inburgering.