Did you start your integration on 1 October 2017 or after? And are you registered with the municipality? Then you must sign the participation statement. This is part of your integration.
Letter from the municipality
The municipality will send you a letter. The letter says you have to learn what is important in the Netherlands. For instance:
- Everybody in the Netherlands is equal.
- Everybody may choose their own partner.
- Everybody may choose their own religion.
- Everybody is allowed to go to school.
- Everybody can say what they think. But it is not allowed to discriminate against somebody else.
- We take care of ourselves. But we also take care of each other. The government helps when needed.
If you did not get a letter, contact the municipality you are registered with.
Signing the statement
The letter also tells you how to learn what is important in the Netherlands. Once you have learned enough, you sign a piece of paper. This piece of paper is called the participation statement. By doing so, you state that you will actively participate in Dutch society and that you respect what is important in the Netherlands.
Municipality registers participation statement
The municipality registers that you have signed the participation statement. The municipality also informs DUO of this. After about 3 weeks it will show in Mijn Inburgering that you have signed the statement.
How much time do you have?
Did you have to start your integration before 1 Januar y 2022? Then you have 1 year to sign the participation statement. If you had to start as from 1 January 2022, then you have 3 years to sign it.
Started integrating on 1 January 2022 or after
In that case, it will first be determined under which civic integration act you must integrate on or after 1 January 2022.
- Do you have to integrate under the Civic Integration Act of 2021? Then you have 3 years to sign the participation statement.
- Do you have to integrate under the Civic Integration Act of 2013? Then you have 1 year to sign the participation statement.
Started integrating before 1 January 2022
- You have 1 year to learn what is important in the Netherlands, and to sign the participation statement. This year begins when you register your new address with the municipality.
- Did you not sign the participation statement within 1 year? If this is your own fault, the municipality will let DUO know. You will be fined €340 by DUO. Also, you will not be able to borrow money from DUO any more.
- Are you late, but is this not your fault? Or do you need more time? Please contact the municipality. The municipality will let DUO know why you are late and you will get extra time.