Orientation on the Dutch Labour Market exam
The Orientation on the Dutch Labour Market (ONA) exam is about working and finding work. There are 2 parts to the exam:
- assignments (portfolio)
- 64 hours of ONA course or a final interview
You do not have to take the ONA exam if:
- you started your integration before 1 January 2015
- you became obligated to integrate according to the law WI2021. Look in Mijn Inburgering which law applies to your situation
- you have a diploma for MBO level 1 (‘entreeopleiding’), in Dutch
- you received an exemption because you worked in the Netherlands
You need to do assignments using result cards. Sometimes, you also have to send extra documents, which we call ‘bewijzen’. Together, the cards and attachments make up your portfolio.
The explanatory notes ('toelichting') explain how to fill out the result cards. DUO cannot help you fill out the cards. DUO does not have a sample portfolio.
Start in time
Start working on your portfolio well in time. Checking your portfolio may take up to 6 weeks. You may need to wait another 6 weeks for your final interview.
Submitting result cards
- Log in to Mijn Inburgering.
- Select Orientation on the Dutch labour market (‘Oriëntatie op de Nederlandse Arbeidsmarkt’).
- Submit both the result cards and the ‘bewijzen’.
- Choose how to pay. The fee to take the ONA exam is €50. You can pay with iDeal, or you can use your loan to pay for the exam.
- Choose how you would like to continue. Either you attend 64 hours of an ONA course or you attend the final interview.
If you cannot log in to Mijn Inburgering, download the result cards and the application form. Send them to DUO by post.
You will receive the result of your portfolio by letter. If your portfolio is approved, the letter comes with a form. Use this form to apply for the final interview. If you submit your portfolio by post, you cannot take the exam by attending 64 hours of an ONA course.
How to continue
Once your payment has been received, DUO will check your portfolio and send you the result by email. If DUO approves your portfolio, you can continue with the 2nd part of the exam. This consists of either 64 hours of an ONA course or a final interview.
64 hours of ONA course
If you attend 64 hour of an ONA course, you won’t have to attend the final interview. You need to take the course at a school listed on zoekinburgerschool.nl Link opent externe pagina . Ask the school if they offer the ONA course. The school also knows how much the course costs.
Did you finish the course? The school will inform DUO digitally about the number of hours that you attended the ONA course. If this does not work, you please use the ‘Verklaring deelname cursus ONA’ form.
The waiting time for the final interview is 6 weeks. You will have an interview with 2 people from DUO. They willl ask you questions about your result cards. The interview will take around 30 minutes. Your result will appear in Mijn Inburgering.
If you are successful in the final interview, you have passed the ONA exam. If your final interview is unsuccessful, you must submit your portfolio again. You must pay for the exam again. You must also attend a new final interview. You can ask DUO why you failed your exam. Send an email to DUO.